Telemedicine Services at Southern California Foot & Ankle Specialists
An Out-of-office Option for You and Your Family
We know it can be challenging at times to be available for an in-office appointment. And that challenge has become especially more common during the current COVID-19 pandemic that is impacting all of our lives.
At the same time, it is important that you find the advice and care you need.
Fortunately, we have a way for you to stay on top of managing you and your family’s foot and ankle care even when you are physically unable to come to our office:
Regardless of whether you are constrained by illness, stay-at-home orders, a lack of reliable transportation, or any other reason, a telemedicine appointment can still allow you to receive expert insight and analysis from one of our foot and ankle specialists.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when we use videoconferencing to provide clinical services to you, without an in-office visit being required.
Essentially, this allows our doctors to perform a visual-only inspection of your foot or ankle, communicate directly with you, and answer your questions – all while you remain safe and comfortable at home.
At Southern California Foot & Ankle Specialists, we use Zoom for our telemedicine appointments. Here is how it works:
- Contact us to request a telemedicine appointment by calling our office or filling out the form below.
- We will schedule your appointment, as well as answer any questions you may have.
- We will send you a link to your virtual appointment. When it is time for your appointment, click on this link using the device you wish to use for the Zoom call.
- When our doctor is ready for you, the call will begin.
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well for a virtual consult include:
- Initial inspections. Our doctors can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video. They may then provide a diagnosis and/or recommendations on the next steps you should take.
- Check-ins and follow-ups. Your doctor can examine the progression of an ongoing treatment, or go over the results of recent tests.
- Questions and advice. Have a question and want answers from a trusted professional? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to do it.
There are specific conditions that work very well for telemedicine appointments. If you have the following, reach out to our office so we can schedule your appointment right away!
- Fungal Toenail Infections
- Athlete’s Foot
- Generalized Skin Conditions
- Initial Consultation For In-Office Appointments
Our telemedicine appointments are ideal for anyone who must stay home, has reservations about traveling with their children, or doesn’t have transportation to get to our office. However, anyone can request a telemedicine appointment should they prefer one. We will go over your needs with you to determine whether this option would be best.
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with webcam and microphone.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- The Zoom app on your device. The link we provide will ask you to download the app if you have not already, but you can download the app in advance from Zoom’s website, or through the Apple or Google app stores, if you wish.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
We also recommend having a trusted family member or friend present with you—someone who can move the camera or help you take notes as needed.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
Telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies during the crisis, but the specific answer depends on your provider and plan. Given how quickly things can change in this case, the best way to ensure what your plan covers is to contact your provider.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with Dr. Rodriguez or Dr. Spencer, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you during our regular office hours to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
If you’d prefer, you can also reach out to us directly by phone at (949) 364-9255. We can help you determine whether your needs can be met via telemedicine, or whether an in-office appointment may be preferable. If so, please rest assured that we are taking extensive measures to provide a low-risk an environment for you.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!