The hectic holidays are over for another year, but if you want a fun, relaxed event to lift your spirits, try the Driving Miz Daisy Vintage Market in Ladera Ranch on January 10. Free admission, free parking, over 200 vendors, classic cars and vintage trailers—and of course music and food—make this attractive to just about anyone. On the other hand, maybe you’d prefer a visit to your favorite salon to let someone pamper your feet instead. Just remember these safe pedicure tips so you can truly relax:
- Don’t shave your lower legs beforehand—nicks and cuts are prime entry points for bacteria and fungus.
- Bring your own tools to the salon—that way you can sterilize them yourself to know they are safe.
- Check for cleanliness—the salon floors and bathrooms should be clean, and ask how they sanitize their foot baths and tools. If something doesn’t look right, leave.
- Monitor your technician—make sure he or she doesn’t use razor tools on calluses, only pumice stone or foot file, and don’t let them cut or push back cuticles. Damage to these tissues could cause your nail to grow incorrectly as well as open you to infection.
- Watch the products used—ask if they have non-toxic nail polish, require a good base coat under bright red or orange colors, and make sure you aren’t allergic to any artificial nail materials.
Enjoy being pampered, but make sure you monitor your nails for a week or two afterwards for infection. You’re looking for itching, rash, discolored nails, or a pimple or spot that is red, swollen or painful. If you have any of these symptoms, call Southern California Foot & Ankle Specialists at (949) 364-9255 (WALK) for an appointment to have your toes checked. If you prefer, you can request an appointment now by using our online contact form. We’ll give your feet the care they deserve—so you can enjoy fun events like vintage markets.