The Benefits of Ankle Arthroscopy
Just think of all the changes to technology since the first computers were built in the 1940s. Some early models took up whole rooms, and now many times that computing capacity can be held in the palm of your hand. Computers have revolutionized the medical field as well, so now we are able to perform complicated surgeries using the smallest of cameras, lights and tools. As podiatrists, we can use these minimally invasive techniques when you need surgery for an ankle injury. We want to point out for you some of the benefits of ankle arthroscopy:
- We can see better. The image from that tiny camera can be enlarged on the screen to magnify the area and give a clearer idea of the problem and what needs to be done to fix it.
- We can perform better. The enlarged images allow us to pinpoint the areas to be treated more accurately. When we need to remove extraneous tissue or bone, we target the exact tissue because we can operate the tools more precisely.
- We can use smaller incisions. Less of the skin and underlying tissue is disturbed, so your body has less damage to heal afterwards.
- You have less swelling. Because the area affected is small, your body doesn’t rush as much blood and fluid there to jumpstart the healing process. Lower fluid levels mean swelling is reduced, helping you stay more comfortable.
- You have less pain. You know the difference when you poke yourself with a needle or sustain a knife cut. The same principle applies to arthroscopic surgery. Smaller incisions and less damaged tissue mean you don’t hurt as much afterwards.
- You have less risk of infection. The amount and time of tissue exposure is greatly reduced, so your chances of getting an infection are much lower, too.
- You heal more quickly. Just as a small scrape heals more quickly than a deep gash on your skin, small incisions close up and heal more quickly than large ones. That’s one reason why so many athletes choose arthroscopy—to get them back in the game quicker after injuries.
We encourage you to call Southern California Foot & Ankle Specialists in Ladera Ranch, CA to discuss all the pros and cons of surgery with us beforehand. We believe that ankle arthroscopy offers many benefits and reduces many of the risks associated with a procedure, and understanding this may make you more comfortable with having one done. Call us at (949) 364-9255 (WALK) and we’ll do all we can to make your entire surgery and recovery as comfortable as possible.